7.19.2010

Favorite Food Products

Favorite Things #3 and #4: Mission Carb Balance Flour Tortillas and Crystal Light Energy Wild Strawberry

Mission Carb Balance Flour TortillasI know tortillas are bad for you. But I'm a Texan. What do you expect? Tortillas are to Texans like bagels are to New Yorkers. I've read all the terrible news about bleached flour and tortillas. So for a while, I was on the whole wheat tortillas. In my honest opinion -- they are terrible. There is not one brand that has the same taste and texture as a good ole flour tortilla. They tear when you make a wrap. They taste like cardboard when you make a fajita. They're bad.

The other day, I was standing at the tortilla display picking up each brand, size, and type to view their calories. I'm concerned with fat...but more so with calories. And alas...there they were...the Mission Carb Balance Flour Tortillas. I bought them, as their calorie count was only 80 per tortilla. I was skeptical. However, after touching them (and eventually tasting them), I was sold for life. Or, sold as long as they make them. The texture is fluffy -- similar to a restaurant tortilla. And, they taste like a good flour tortilla. Yes, they probably contain bleached flour and fat. But at 80 calories and good texture, beggars can't be choosers. I'm definitely a convert.


Crystal Light Energy Wild Strawberry

I admit it -- I am an addict. I'm addicted to Cherry Coke Zero, Coke Zero, Diet Coke, Diet Dr Pepper, and anything made by Sonic that includes cherry, vanilla, and diet soda. I have two things to thank for my addiction -- my husband (the financier of Coca-Cola) and graduate school. In my quest to reduce Coke intake, I've been reminded how boring water really is. I need something with flavor. I've tried tea and get easily burned out. So, I started on Crystal Light (yes, I still drink water, too). About a year ago, my friend Kati gave me a Wild Strawberry packet to mix with my water. It was like a match made in heaven. I'm not really sure what the "Energy" in the name refers to. But the flavor is heavenly. It's much lighter than Kool-Aid; but, better than a flavored water. The only downside is that it does not come in 2 quart pods...only the little tubes to mix with water bottles. If you can find it at your grocery store, it is definitely worth the money. It's a great option to tea or water and perfect for the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment