10.31.2009

The Message

On Tuesday my friend Brooke and I decided to escape work for an hour and enjoy a healthy lunch at Jason's Deli. We beat the crowd; but still had to wait a few minutes for our lunch to come. About halfway through our meal, a woman (probably in her mid to late 60s, wearing a knit shirt, frumpy jeans, and some beat up tennis shoes) got up from her table and starting walking toward us. I assumed she was walking to the salad bar or to get a drink refill. About the time she got by our table, she was really close to me. Again, I just assumed she was moving over to allow people to pass her in the aisle. The next thing I know, she bends down, puts her arms around me (while I'm seated, eating my lunch), and puts her face almost against mine. She looks me straight in the eyes and said, "I've been sent to you to deliver a message from God." I almost laughed in the woman's face. But, I listened. She proceeded to witness to me about God's love and how I should accept and embrace it. Are you kidding me? Her message was congruent with my beliefs; but to interupt my lunch, assume I am a non Christian, and then to actually touch me was just too much. After she finished "the message," she got back up and sat down two tables away. She watched me eat the remainder of my meal -- staring the whole time. Brooke and I ate as fast as we could and raced out to the car. The minute we got in, we lost it in laughter. I've always told people that weird things happen to me. Finally, I have a witness. Brooke, glad you can vouch for the story of The Message.

No comments:

Post a Comment